New House Colliery
There is very little documented about New House Colliery but the abandonment plans, dated 1882, indicate that there was still coal remaining to be extracted and a number of older workings were noted. The sites of the two main shafts are still clearly visible and an embankment for a cart track is still obvious running from the southerly shaft across the fields past other pit mounds to reach the road just inside the woodland containing the marl pits.
The northern pit mound is substantial and shows evidence of the footings for a building as well as what appear to be the walls of a reservoir - possibly to hold water for a steam engine. All the coal extracted was taken from south of this shaft and it seems that this lower lying shaft was used for pumping, as water was a serious problem. The brick lined shaft is at least 125ft deep and still contains the pump rods and the rising main.
Despite the mine having closed in 1882, this shaft has a concrete cap with some initials and the date 1934 scratched into it. It seems probable that the shaft had been left open since closure but was full of water which issued from it. It transpires that, in 1934, a ram pump was installed lower down the field to supply water from the shaft to New House Farm. A take off pipe for this can be seen in the shaft and it is clear that newer bricks were used to raise the shaft lining to take the concrete cap. The letters WP form one set of initials and it is known that William Powell, a relative of Charles Powell in Pulverbatch, was one of the workmen involved in this installation but the other initials have not yet been traced.